[OSM-talk] The Proposed Great Colour Shift

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Aug 22 21:04:35 UTC 2015

On 22/08/15 19:24, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk
> <mailto:lester at lsces.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> The main problem here is that OSM is used by a large part of the UK web
> services [...]
>
> I agree that this is a problem. But not for the reasons you may think.
> The OSM default tileset is *not* meant to be used as a general-purpose
> tileset by third parties. There are no service-level guarantees and
> styles may change without notice to them. There is *absoutely* no
> obligation on the OSM community to notify third party users of our
> tilesets of any changes.
>
> In fact, third parties who consume too much tile bandwidth are
> encouraged to source tiles from other services like MapQuest or Mapbox,
> or roll out their own tile service.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy

We have had this discussion before ... If the share link is not intended
to provide links for embedded maps and include a link back to the main
map then it should be removed? This is intended as advertising and using
it as an alternative to google SHOULD be encouraged. But if promoting
OSM is against the rules then so be it ... but advertising some other
commercial service is equally wrong.

As for simply dumping a complete rework of the style without any warning
... that is perhaps why I am looking to retain the current style via my
own service. At least a few 'dictatorships' are learning that one needs
to ease existing users from one style of working to another and allow
the user the choice. In a few places I still get hassled to use 'the new
interface', but there is nothing wrong with the old one and it works for
me. AT least when the front page style changed there was an alternative,
and I think that is how any major change should be handled. If it falls
flat on it's face one can at least roll back rather than having no such
security.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL