[OSM-talk] New styles for OSM.org [was: Re: The Proposed Great Colour Shift]

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun Aug 23 00:04:52 UTC 2015

W dniu 23.08.2015 0:51, Paul Norman napisał(a):
> On 8/22/2015 4:20 AM, Daniel Koć wrote:
>> Could anybody with technical background in the inner OSM workings tell
>> us what is holding us back with introducing new styles (be it raster
>> styles, additional/interactive layers or even vector tiles)?
>
> Only a lack of people willing to do the work.

I would like to know more specific - is there a place I could get more
information on the styles we already show? Like where are they hosted
(by whom), is there a way to get involved and the things like that. Most
of this can be found here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tiles

but not whether the servers are internal or external and I don't know if
these informations are current.

I believe default osm-carto is hosted on OSM servers?

For me it's important for OSM community to have control over the style,
so just adding some nice tiles from the "outer space" will not resolve
our problems.

That's why I've asked about possible lack of technical resources - if we
have enough horsepower on our servers to run the whole second style it
would be great, but I guess you meant just plugging external tiles,
which could be nice, but only to some extent. Am I right?

> For new layers which are overlays or in-client vector tile rendered,
> there would also probably be a pull request needed to add the
> necessary code.

cquest (of French style) just let me know that he is experimenting with
vector tiles:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1402#issuecomment-132209396

So another layman question arises: given that he (or anybody else for
that matter!) succeed with serving such tiles AND is willing to fulfill
our criteria - would it mean just some code is needed and we have the
way to handle (practically) unlimited styles, or it is not that easy as
I wish? =}

down" [A. Cohen]