[OSM-talk] Preserving History ...

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:30:37 UTC 2015

Retaining the history is the most respectful thing you can do for
mappers but I have seen a lot of new'ish mappers who feel that just
deleting and starting over is easier.

In JOSM the "replace geometry" function can be used and it will retain
the history and lets you "map from scratch" and retain history.

I have remapped very dense urban areas from scratch then used replace
geometry to replace the buildings.

Once in a while a building was mapped as two when it was really one
building so you have to delete.

But in general if you want to map from scratch, make a new layer, map,
merge layers, replace geometry, done, history retained and you mapped
from scratch.

Same thing with roads that need updating, you just remap it and then
replace geometry or use the improve way tool, either one will preserve
history.

If anyone wants a detailed usage example just let me know, I made a
youtube video demonstrating how remap a city block with replace
geometry, but the steps I put in above are essentially it.

Regards
blake