[OSM-talk] Preserving History ...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 16:15:14 UTC 2015

On 25/08/15 16:29, Tom MacWright wrote:
> All of the resources you linked, you can improve!
>
> * https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm
> * https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Beginners%27_guide&action=edit
> * http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Editing_Standards_and_Conventions&action=edit
>
> You should fix these things, if you care about them.

My improvement would be 'Don't touch iD with a barge pole!' :)

But the JOSM snippets are interesting and proper documentation on just
how we can observe best practice to maintain history is something which
is missing.

But to go with this I think that adding warnings to any delete action IN
the editors would be more help. That is in the absence of simply
disabling 'delete' on objects that are already part of the database.

I am gathering more notes on how material is being lost because of the
way delete is handled, but I need to get the tile server live first
while still paying the bills ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL