[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Aug 27 09:59:23 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 4:02 AM, moltonel 3x Combo <moltonel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 27/08/2015, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> >  I believe we're talking about abandoned railroad rights of way that
> still
> > mark the landscape, not something that no longer has a trace.
>
> No :
>
> Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com wrote Thu Aug 20 05:12:49 UTC 2015
> > Here's a perfect example of how a railway should be mapped:
> >
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/42.92237423246795/-75.8534094581493

Well, I stand corrected.  On that area, where the railway=dismantled
section exists, based on what I'm seeing in iD, I wouldn't map it at all.

There is no real-life trace left of
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/366610457 (amongst others) but it is
> currently in OSM.
>
> At we're not least not exclusively about still-visible abandoned; the
> OP hasn't given a list of guilty deletions so it's hard to judge how
> justified each deletion was.

Yeah, that's definitely chasing ghosts.  If that's what we're talking about
for railway=dismantled, then that should probably go into some other
database instead.  About the closest to something like that I would map is
like the abandoned railways seen at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/45.50828/-122.83817, which at last
time I was on the ground, was a bit more visually apparent on the ground
than in the aerial thanks to the more solid railway ballast slowly sinking
into the surrounding silt.  No idea when the railway was abandoned, but I'm
guessing sometime during my childhood as Jenkins Road still had railroad
crossing symbols painted on it during high school, the bike lanes still had
it during the last decade and were finally completely removed last decade.
Along with an infill for the grade crossing which was tall and rough enough
that had it been intentional rather than shoddy worksmanship would have
been a traffic_calming=table.  However, it couldn't have been too recent
before I started high school (1996) as the Reeser's Fine Foods factory
across Jenkins from that abandoned wye had been there long enough to get a
rather weather-worn look and a fuel pump located in their yard was old
enough to have reel dials for the readout.