[OSM-talk] What's the point of the Wiki 'k=v' icon?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Aug 30 09:34:43 UTC 2015

On 27/08/2015 11:13, Maarten Deen wrote:
> On 2015-08-27 11:21, Dave F. wrote:

>>> contributors &
>>> this
>>>>
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/5/5f/Osm_element_tag.sv
>>> g/200px-Osm_element_tag.svg.png
>>> purely
>>> Even
>>> are
>>> The graphic is used when there isn’t a specific image to put in a
>>> tag value infobox, with a k= graphic for key descriptions. A “No
>>> image yet” graphic used to be used. The message is buried within the
>>> {{description}} template. Although there are some pages that could
>>> have pictures but don’t it doesn’t always make sense to have one.
>>
>> If there's not a specific image, can't it just be ignored & start with
>> 'description' or whatever?
>> The k=v icons are irrelevant to people who edit the map.
>
> It is a placeholder image that probably the person making the first
> page about a key/value combination made and got taken over in the
> template and though that mechanism got so prominent in all tag pages.
> Don't look for more behind it.

Unsure what you mean by that last comment.

I'm looking for either a valid reason to keep it & if there is none,
remove it.

Poor/lazy wiki page design doesn't seem a valid one.

Neither is giving irrelevant, baffling info to newbies. We're meant to
be encouraging people to join in, not turn them away.