[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Aug 30 19:37:55 UTC 2015

On 29/08/15 08:50, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>> In OSM we do that by tagging the small elements properly. Deletion is
>> > vandalism. No smiley.

> And in case of elements no longer present correct tagging is a complete
> lack of tagging, therefore deleting is perfectly OK.

The current situation is quite simple ... one view of the data is that
only currently visible data will be displayed and to make life easy any
well documented history is now simply scrap. The fact that people are
also documenting the future developments in the database and that this
needs to be hidden until it becomes valid is no different to simply
hiding historic material.

That there are a proportion of users who would like access to the very
data that others think should be scrapped is a simple fact. So we need
two versions of the database. One with only 'physical precedence'
elements only, and a second which simply allows a view at different
points in time.

At the current time the OHM is of no use for the second database, so we
need to create another view of the main database which provides the very
data that some people think has no place in a map. We currently have a
growing catalogue of historic mapping sources, and this area is just as
useful if it an be made available via essentially the same interface as
a 'today' version of the map, and 'tomorrow' showing a hypothetical new
road and rail links is little different to 'yesterday' where we actually
have factual data already correctly documented. OHM provides a platform
to document more speculative historic material, but that needs current
material to provide a background.

Just as we can maintain our own rendering of data such as a 'UK' map,
there is nothing stopping a different view of the base data to provide
that map as long as we have a mechanism in place to maintain access to
that data for those who in many cases have created the data in the first
place! The current interface can be used in different ways to achieve
these ends, so 'delete' invalid data, but tagging an end_date should be
normal practice for objects that have evolved beyond original use.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL