[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit: surface=woodchip to surface=woodchips

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Aug 31 14:01:19 UTC 2015

On 31/08/15 13:54, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 13:32:24 +0100
> lester at lsces.co.uk wrote:
>
>> > This may just be a language thing, but in my dictionary the mulch
>> > material is woodchip, so the incorrect spelling is woodchips ...
>> > unless one is using it as a fuel for an 'eco' power plant. So is the
>> > mistake simply because people are translating from other languages?
> What dictionary is giving this definition?

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodchips is in plural form, according to
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/woodchip woodchip is for a single
> mechanically produced chip of wood.
>
> In my printed dictionaries (Polish-English and English-Polish, one by
> Oxford University Press and second by Wiedza Powszechna) neither term
> appears.

Back in the office now ... that post should have gone to the list as
well :(

I'm just watching a item on the telly about biomass and processing
woodchip to it's various sizes for the jobs it's destined for. On google
woodchip produces results ... woodchips does not ... so in my book
surface=woodchips is what is wrong! Playground areas are covered with
woodchip or bark as one of the approved safety requirements although
it's not uncommon to use the term wood fibre to cover the whole range of
material.

Will add notes to the soil/dirt thread but equestrian surfaces using
wood chip or soil have more stringent requirements in relation to dust
control. 'dirt' tends to imply a dusty surface, something one would not
expect with a better managed soil surface.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL