[OSM-talk] Innovative uses of OSM data in cities?

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 14:29:15 UTC 2015

Hi Jo

I'm not sure about what your audience are sceptic and if they have GIS
background

One could categorize examples into open topographic data (ev.
optimized for thematic overlays; not only prerendered styling) and
open data for spatial analyses, management, planning, and decision
support.

To me these are the most common uses of spatial data - besides spatial
analyses, management, planning, and decision support:
A. Individually styled topographic base map.
B. Map as entry page to apps (e.g. where are our customers?) as an
alternative to the usual text and list app entries.
C. Geoname search and geocoding.
D. Point-of-Interests.
E. Routing/Navigation

Here are some examples I know of out of my head:
* OpenEcoMap - a map portraying socio-ecological infrastructure for
Swiss landscape planners: http://openecomap.hsr.ch/
* POI Tour - a personalized round tour planner for pedestrians (aka
online tourist guide): http://poitour.ch/

Related use cases, less specific:
* Many commercial traffic management systems are using OSM data as
part of their product today.
* OSM data is being used in Swiss polices for crime analysis and prediction.

Possible future use cases:
* OSM could deliver an ID for objects which could serve for the
internet of things (IoT).
* "OSM Hotspots": Visualizing popular local (urban) areas and "OSM
Place Trends": Showing trending places by ranking "activities" (as of
yesterday). See https://twitter.com/sfkeller/status/619954847031410688

I'm looking forward for your talk.

--S.