[OSM-talk] Community Conference

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Dec 3 14:46:04 UTC 2015

On Thursday 03 December 2015, Christine Karch wrote:

> By the way this is what I work for at SOTM WG and also the reason I
> joined it. And it was the spirit of SOTM-EU in Karlsruhe (thank you
> Richard for your acclamation).

Another thing that also worked fairly well in Karlsruhe and that the
international SOTM could take cue from is live video.

It has already been mentioned that the significant cost factor involved
in visiting an international conference is a problem but even if money
is not an issue by far not everyone in the community is comfortable
with visiting such an event in person with a lot of people around
unknown to him/her etc.  Giving people the opportunity to participate
in it in some form without actually being there is important to lower
the barrier and include more people.

The CC-Congress has already been mentioned as a positive example and it
certainly defines the gold standard in terms of video transmission.
They also have the concept of 'congress everywhere' with local events
abroad connected to the main congress:

https://events.ccc.de/congress/2015/wiki/Congress_Everywhere

This likewise could be something to try with SOTM.  Of course the
congress has the huge advantage of taking place at the same location
every year which simplifies a lot of things.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/