[OSM-talk] Involving Cyclists in OSM

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 11:48:10 UTC 2015

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 19:39:05 -0800
Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:

> > - Useful for cycling advocacy, as it presents a more accurate less
> > car-focused set of data, and the open tools around OSM make it
> > easier to draw potential options
> >

> Can you help me understand this better? Maybe an example.

(1) I started mapping using OSM because I wanted to create map of
bicycle infrastructure in my city. OSM data part is done in large part
(including mapping surface of all cycleways), now I am working on tool
that given OSM data will produce website describing bicycle
infrastructure in a given region - including listing of problems and
issues.

(2) I am using Github issue tracker to track issues reported to local
government (potholes, traffic signal bugs etc) and I am using OSM map
links to save locations - it is typically something like "invalid B-2
sign at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.0818&mlon=19.9160#map=16/50.0818/19.9160".

This allows me to produce map with locations where I may check whatever
issue reported some time ago was fixed as it was supposed to happen (I
will not make a special trip to check whatever pothole was fixed - but
I may remember to check it during drive to church) (OSM used is as
basemap - see http://i.imgur.com/YckBQ2e.jpg ).

This is probably doable also with other map providers but
with OSM it is easier to do* and it is possible to fix problems with
used map - for example Polish government has high quality maps but it
is either illegal and complicated or highly expensive to use them in
this way and in case of Google I failed at step "produce link with
marker at wanted location" - before even considering problems caused by
using Google service.

*at least for me