[OSM-talk] Nominatim weakness

John Goodman jg1 at qlam.com
Sun Dec 13 22:52:21 UTC 2015

Am I missing something, or is there no way to sort Nominatim searches on
the main OpenStreetMap map page?

For example, if my map is showing an area of the United States where I
happen to know a mapped Starbucks exists, and I search for "Starbucks"
in the search panel, the entire panel is filled with Starbucks in Japan.
Do the same on a "competitor's" map, and you get what you expect: the
Starbucks that are closest to the current map view are listed first.

I could easily envision a first-time user not returning to OSM because
of this.

John