[OSM-talk] Nominatim weakness

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 14 08:54:23 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-14 09:34, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 08:45:38AM +0100, Maarten Deen wrote:

>> >That shouldn't happen as we we pass the current view to Nominatim and
>> >it is supposed to prioritise results in that area.
>>
>> Then that logic is seriously flawed (if not broken).
>> I noticed this yesterday, and I did this again just now. I opened
>> OSM and I get the map at [1]. I look for Thorn (which for me is a
>> town in the Netherlands [2] )
>> The first results (now and yesterday) are (in that order)
>> - City Toruń, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland
>> - Administrative Boundary Toruń, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship,
>> Poland
>> - County Boundary Toruń, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland
>> - Suburb Boundary Thorn, Maasgouw, Province of Limburg, Netherlands,
>> The Netherlands
>>
>> The first three are basically the same and have a name:de=Thorn.
>
> This is the same problem of importance. Reordering according to
> your search query does happen but is weighted against importance.
> Torun is much more important than the suburb in the Netherlands,
> so it wins.

I fail to see how a town that has a translation in a language that is
not my own could be so much more important than a town in the country I
live in, that searches a mere 10,5 km away make that town not put first.
Let me stress the point of "translation in a language that is not my
own" again. For me, that is a name that has close to 0 importance
because I don't speak the language. Furthermore, as a user I am puzzled
by why this other town is so much more important. The translated name is
not shown, I see "Toruń" as first result and think "why is this a result
when I search for Thorn?"

Regards,
Maarten