[OSM-talk] this has to stop: iD user mistakes all over the place

colliar colliar4ever at aol.com
Thu Feb 12 14:52:35 UTC 2015

Am 12.02.2015 um 14:27 schrieb malenki:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:08:37 -0500, Tom MacWright wrote:
>
>> Ever since 2012, in the second commit ever, "Not breaking other
>> people's data" has been one of the three clearly stated public design
>> goals of iD.
>
> Regarding this statement it is interesting that iD went live with no
> graphic hints about the existence of relations. (I hope I remember
> this point correct.)

+1

Well, methinks thou dost protest too much.

I did mention all my points longer time ago and there exists open issues
about them.

Still do not see the point why some actions should not be denied until
they proper work especially as there seems to be not much interest in
fixing them.

I just was ask by an user of iD how to check the consistency of common
relations like multipolygon, boundary and route in iD.

Does anyone have an answer ?

Where do I find a wiki or help system about iD explaining me the software ?
Only found one page which does not even mention relations.

I have no problems with newbie mistakes but users with over 2000 commits
are no newbies anymore but still miss the common understanding of
relations and are not aware of all tags of an object.

What do you say about changesets with comment "hopefully did not break
any relation this time" or "sorry about breaking relations" ?
I would say, nice the user is at least adding changeset comments but as
an developer alarm bells should start ringing in my head.

For sure, I use PM and directly discuss on changesets but so far my
advice is at least do not use "combine ways" or merging nodes at all,
plus always discuss in advance of deleting or even better use a better
editor software.

Cheers colliar