[OSM-talk] [Imports] amenity=bicycle_repair_station :::: only 18 so far

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Feb 13 04:30:35 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bryce,
>
> After reading through this thread, I just don't see this dataset as
> being high enough of quality to import.
>
> Arguing that users will be free to move objects does not jive with the
> ~10 years experience we have in OSM, and nearly that long with
> imports. Imported data is rarely touched, even when the quality is low
> (ie TIGER).

I ran an experiment to see if a local mapper would be willing to
re-position a node that can't be seen on an
air photo.  We already know that armchair mappers are willing to make
similar corrections.

Here's the experiment:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/313414
The node was properly moved to the opposite side of the street, by user
dchiles.

-----------------------
As a crowd sourced map, it should be within reach to find 500 local mappers
to validate 500 locations.
No commercial effort could match this (the cost of airfare would be
prohibitive).
In fact it could be seen as a core strength of OSM: the ability to seek
local volunteers scattered across the globe.

I see a high quality and extensively vetted data set here, with a chance
for engagement by local on the ground mappers
to correct what are fairly modest imagery/base layer offset issues.  Beyond
that, this import has already engaged several bike
communities, bringing new mappers to OSM specifically in order to map bike
repair stations.

This is not low quality data: it's high engagement data.