[OSM-talk] Mechanically Cleaning Up FIXME Tags

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Feb 25 20:47:43 UTC 2015

fixme=yes is an interesting one socially.  It's a bit like tiger:reviewed=no

If there's an obvious problem, I might feel confident to fix the issue and
clear the tag out. But for most nodes I might be unsure what's wrong, or
not be confident I know 100% about the object. Thus the fixme=yes sits
there forever, for future generations of mappers to look at, make the same
conclusion, and leave the tag for the next next generation of mapper.

Tools such as Keepright could sidestep some of the fixme clutter by aging
out older notes.  As a given fixme ages, the percentage chance of it
getting fixed goes down.  With JOSM at least reading the last edit date is
a separate and somewhat slow operation for the mapper.