[OSM-talk] Mechanically Cleaning Up FIXME Tags

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:23:17 UTC 2015

On 26/02/2015, Andreas Labres <list at lab.at> wrote:
> On 25.02.15 08:01, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>    I think in many cases the proper action to perform on an object with
>> a FIXME tag that has "a low chance of ever getting addressed" is deletion.

    highway=service
    access=private
    surface=asphalt
    fixme=the surface type changes here according to imagery

Clearly that fixme is unlikely to be resolved anytime soon (survey
needed but impossible). And your suggested action is to delete the
actual way object ?? I wouldn't even remove the fixme.

Sorry for only offering an anecdote against your "in many cases", but
it reflects my general feeling. Deleting an unfixable fixme tag can
make sense; deleting the underlying object doesn't. The fixme tag may
be a hint that the underlying object is so bad that it needs to be
deleted, but the tag itself is no reason to delete. An interesting
version of "don't shoot the messenger" :p