[OSM-talk] 176k Wikidata tags to add to OSM

Morray osmco at go4more.de
Sat Jan 3 18:57:34 UTC 2015

Hi Edward,

any updates on your project? As said before, I would love to see some
test imports.
Am 24.11.2014 um 12:28 schrieb Edward Betts:
> It has been suggested that I shouldn't be using Wikipedia at all, instead I
> should be looking at the 'instance of' property in Wikidata. Using English
> Wikipedia introduces an English-language bias, there are items in Wikidata
> without an associated article in English Wikipedia. The reason for using
> Wikipedia Categories is because use of the 'instance of' property is very
> patchy. The majority of the items in my result list don't include the
> 'instance of' property. A related piece of work will be to populate this
> field in Wikidata, but for now I'm focused on linking OSM and Wikidata.
Did you already start on this side?
> There are already 25k things with a Wikidata tag in OSM. When I compare this
> list with my generated list I find 2,000 cases where a given Wikidata ID is
> assigned to a different OSM object from the one picked by my system. In
> addition there are 26 OSM objects with a wikidata tag pointing at a different
> Wikidata item.
By now there are arround 26k things. Give it a boost to 30k ;-), in a
well defined area. So people can evaluate.
> Many of these mismatches are villages, towns and municipalities in Germany.
> One possible way to solve this is if I exclude settlements in Germany from my
> list. It looks like Germany doesn't need an automated import of Wikidata tags.
Why are they mismatching? Maybe we can fix it.

Happy new year
Morray