[OSM-talk] MEP - pipelines

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 16:41:47 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 05:22:17PM +0000, Chris Hill wrote:
> On 03/01/15 16:50, Rainer Fügenstein wrote:
> >in accordance to the mechanical edit policy, I'd like to open the
> >discussion on this list:
> >
> >a recently approved proposal introduced new tags for pipelines and
> >marker [1] and changed an established tag:
> >
> >type=* was changed to substance=*
>
> The values may need changing, e.g. type=sewer become substance=sewage
>
> >the main reason for this change was a (possible) conflict with type=*
> >as used in relations. also, type=* was considered to be too generic to
> >describe the medium flowing within pipelines.
> >
> >this requires a mechanical update of existing data:
>
> No, just because a handful of wiki 'votes' does not mandate a mechanical
> edit.

handful of votes? The proposal was really hard to miss so everyone who
wanted to vote did so.

> What about the maps I produce for my client? You're not likely to know about
> it as it is a private project. If you make a mechanical edit that breaks my
> render, should I send the bill for the changes to you rather than ask my
> client to pay? (This is not hypothetical I really do have a render using
> pipelines. I'm also using pipeline data to calculate approximations of
> distribution and aggregation).

there are friendlier ways to ask someone that you need more time to catchup
with your private project after Xmas vacation.

The change is reasonable and the use of "type" was suboptimal in this setting.

Richard