[OSM-talk] Addresses interpolation

Jonathan Bennett jonobennett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 11:13:42 UTC 2015

On 27/01/2015 10:24, Dmitry Kiselev wrote:

>> Have you asked cquest, the editor who created it? They're the best
>> person to answer this question.
>
> I have a validator or at least addr:interpolation parser, so I have a
> lots of examples like this
> made by different editors.
>
> So, if it's not an local trait, it's much more easy for me to just fix them.

...and leave that editor free to make the same mistake again and again.
They probably didn't realise they'd made a mistake, and a friendly note
from you might stop the problem occurring again.

Also, while they're correcting the mistake they've made, they may also
spot places in the same area where the map needs updating. As a remote
mapper, you're not going to be able to do this.

That's why using QA tools is fine, but just blindly "fixing" errors
without communicating with local mappers doesn't produce the best
outcome for OSM overall.

I do understand the urge to "fix" inconsistencies in the data like this,
but until every single geographic feature on the face of the Earth is
represented in OSM somehow, it shouldn't be our highest priority.

J.