[OSM-talk] Students editing for assignments

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 18:44:03 UTC 2015

On 03/07/2015 19:00, MichaƂ Brzozowski wrote:
> I ask that we create some guidelines for that type of editing, as
> we're no sandbox [3];

> [3] We should definitely make one, like one that Wikipedia has.

Although it wasn't really designed for that, we have got
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/ , which is the same as the main site
except for the rendering part*, but for testing small edits and asking
other mappers whether what you've added is OK should work OK as a sandbox.

> also editing and later deletion seems not right
> to me (self-vandalism?).
> These guidelines should also, or in particular, target teachers -

I certainly wouldn't want to put teachers off suggesting that their
students add _real_ stuff locally to OSM, even though the results (as
with any first-time editors) can be a bit variable.  Maybe to start with
just suggest that teachers pop into an OSM IRC channel for a few minutes
to talk through what they're trying to do?  That way we'd get a heads-up
of what's happening and could offer to assist.  The general helpfulness
of OSM users towards other OSM users is not to be underestimated (see
for example http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussions ).

Cheers,

Andy

* Obviously "except for the rendering part" is quite important if you
want to show what the results look like, but edits in a relatively small
area should be renderable in a small switch2osm.org-style server, just
fetching the data directly from the dev API, as there's no planet or
extracts available for it.