[OSM-talk] waterway - "routable network" and reservoirs/lakes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 12:50:22 UTC 2015

On 28/07/2015 10:24 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 July 2015, Maarten Deen wrote:
>> Do you think that hydrological analysis is a wider field of
>> application than water navigation?
>> I was of the opinion that the connection of waterways within OSM was
>> primarily for navigation.
> That certainly depends on your point of view and metric used but it is
> not unreasonable to think it is, especially considering that most of
> the waterbody data in OSM represents non-navigable waterbodies.
>
> I have for quite some time now pointed out that in terms of
> visualization if you want to do more with the OSM water data than just
> draw everything in uniform color a full water flow network is the basis
> of almost everything you might want to do.  In particular any
> differentiated rendering depends on a consistent importance rating
> which can only be produced based on water flow analysis.

As some maps show height data for elevation of hills, mountains etc so
other maps show depth data for seas, oceans. I think it would be easier
to map the depth data, flow rates will vary more with tides and rainfall
than the actual depth.

It would be interesting to have the flow rate evaluated here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_Falls where the tide reaches 10
m. And of course the flow reverses from hi tide to low tide. Difficult
to map.