[OSM-talk] name:etymology:wikidata

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Fri Jul 31 17:08:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 05:31:48PM +0200, Ruben Maes wrote:
> > On 31/07/15 16:09, Jo wrote:
> >> That's what is proposed here though:
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Wikidata
> >>
> >> And it keeps that particular wikidata tag nicely together with the name
> >> when sorted alphabetically.
> >
> > I don't see any point loading our servers down with wikidata content. If
> > you want the data that goes with a 'wikidata=*' entry then simply ask
> > wikidata for it. Same with wikipedia and other data sources. If you want
> > a sorted list get wikidata to provide it ...
>
> He means that when you view it in JOSM, where tags are listed
> alphabetically, they are nicely grouped together.
>
> Well-written software should know that anything longer that 3
> characters cannot be a language code and should ignore it if it isn't
> interested. Especially when it has a colon in it.

If only it was that easy. Just a few examples from the name
tags most used:

name:ko_rm
name:ja_rm
name:sr-Latn
name:right
name:left

The rule that name:* is some form of name for the object at hand
has worked reasoably well so far for software like search engines
that somehow try to capture all names.