[OSM-talk] OSM is a right mess (was: Craigslist OpenStreetMap Rendering Issue)

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Wed Jun 3 01:10:22 UTC 2015

Fair point, I meant in the context of the list, as I thought others did too.

Steve

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 6:07 PM -0700, "Eugene Alvin Villar" <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:

On 6/3/15, Steve Coast  wrote:

>> On Jun 2, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar  wrote:
>> On Jun 3, 2015 8:06 AM, "pmailkeey ." > > wrote:
>> > OSM's k=v design is completely a serious and unnecessary flaw. [...] OSM
>> > is 90% argument, 5% dead-end discussions and 5% progress. The whole is
>> > not a marketable product; it's not fit to be rated as 'beta'. Is this a
>> > significant cause of ex-mappers ? It's a flipping brilliant project but
>> > sadly lacking a great leader.
>>
>> It seems you are deeply unsatisfied with how OSM works. And your broad
>> assertions such as that OSM is "not fit" or is "90% argument" are
>> completely unfounded.
>>

> I don’t know; there are a bunch of fairly key and active OSM people who
> unsubscribed from the lists precisely because they felt it was mostly
> circular argument.

Yes, people leave mailing lists because of the endless arguments and
constant bike-shedding. But that does not constitute 90% of OSM. I am
willing to bet that majority if not 90% of OSM activity is of mappers
actually mapping. Mailing list discussions is a really small slice of
the overall OSM activity.