[OSM-talk] OSM is a right mess

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 3 06:00:46 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-03 02:04, pmailkeey . wrote:
> iD shows oneway=unknown if it's not set. If it's unknown, iD should
> not show oneway at all.

I agree.

> In OSM if oneway=no then it's not oneway and the oneway tag should not
> appear at all.

Here I don't agree.

> The only time oneway should appear is in the case of oneway=yes - and
> the '=yes' is superfluous.

Some roads are implied oneway. E.g. junction=roundabout and
highway=motorway both imply that the road is one-way only. If for some
reason the object in case is not oneway, a oneway=no tag is very much
needed.

I agree that in every case where oneway=yes is not implied, oneway=no is
superfluous (in a network design way), but that does not make oneway=no
superfluous.

There is also the occurence of oneway=-1 in case someone reverses the
direction of a way. What should be done when the only possibility for
oneway is either set or unset and the direction gets reversed? Should
reversing be disallowed? Should you get a warning "oneway street can not
be reversed"?

Maarten