[OSM-talk] German is now officially the reference version of the wiki?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 12 10:00:18 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-12 11:28, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Just stumbled upon this edit of the out of sync template in the wiki,
> which introduces German as a reference language for documentation:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3ATranslation_out_of_sync&diff=1127917&oldid=1127915
> [1]
>
> I don't recally any discussion, and while I agree that for some tags
> German documentation might indeed be the defacto reference for some
> time, I don't think this occurs just with German or that it should be
> encouraged.

It is written by Xxzme who was banned for a reason. But I read it
differently. Not that Englisch or German are the defacto reference
languages, but that the reference page is usually in English or German.
Just like some reference pages could be Dutch or Russian.
IMHO the reference page is the page without a lang: prefix. And if a
page is for international use, the reference page should be in English.

> Can we revert this?

Of course we can. Anyone can edit the wiki ;) The question is: should
we? I think so, yes.

Maarten