[OSM-talk] README tag with editor support

Andrew Guertin andrew.guertin at uvm.edu
Fri Jun 12 16:09:57 UTC 2015

On 06/11/2015 01:27 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> so i have two things in mind here:
>
> 1) formalize the README tag as a way to caution future mappers
>
> 2) request editor support, when someone goes to change a
> README tagged entity, it would be nice if editors would popup
> a dialog saying something along the lines of

I propose a different solution

I propose that instead of marking the OSM objects, we provide a way of
marking the imagery itself. This would work similar to the imagery
offset database that some editors already support[1].

A user would draw a polygon on the imagery, showing where it was out of
date. This would be uploaded to the server along with an identifier of
what imagery was in question and a user-provided note. When another user
viewed imagery in that area, it would be marked perhaps by shading,
coloring, or even hiding the area within the polygon. A sufficiently
advanced version could even detect when the imagery changed and a
listing was obsolete.

There are of course pluses and minuses to each way, but if the imagery
is what's wrong, I think the imagery should be marked, and I also think
this lends itself to more features and better workflows.

--Andrew

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Imagery_Offset_Database