[OSM-talk] Some thoughts against remote mapping

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Jun 15 07:20:27 UTC 2015

Am 15.06.2015 um 04:11 schrieb Robert Banick:

> Remote mapping was easier to set up in the early phases of the project
> and much more accessible to the Western “core” of OSM contributors, not
> to mention sympathetic journalists, who wanted to check out and perhaps
> contribute to the project. As a result the remote component has gotten
> an outsized amount of attention within the greater OSM community even
> though it’s only half of the story.

I had a long diatribe here as a response that I thought better of, but I
really did want to point out that the remote part of missing maps has
never addressed the core OSM contributors at all. I don't think, even
with giving everybody a lot of slack, that it can be seen as anything
else than a marketing activity of the involved organisations in which
the net result is not of any real concern. And I don't think shifting
the blame for the above to the journalists is in any way fair.

Simon