[OSM-talk] Some thoughts against remote mapping

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:59:53 UTC 2015

On 15/06/2015, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> You think it's only India that has problems with bad/expensive network
> coverage?

Not at all. I'm asking a contributor who feels that his local
community is not very strong if there's anything specific he thinks
could improve things. Since this thread mentions the "westerner bias"
a lot, I prefer to ask to get educated about a particular local
community.

> I can't drive down the M5 without loosing a data connection,

Me too, losing network on the go, I hate it. But let's be honest :
this pales in comparison to the coverage issues in many countries
(presumably like India, but my experience in the matter is getting
old).

> so OSMAND is the only way to work and that works on cheap android
> devices. I've actually got it running on a £40 tablet for a bigger sat
> nav display ...
>
> All that is lacking is that other apps go to OSMAND rather than trying
> to get google maps running ... which only works with a network link?

I've got a pretty good todo-list of what would improve my European OSM
contributor's life, but I was curious about India. It has a huge
population, good level of IT skills, offline functionality needs,
good-but-not-great Google maps... It ought to be a prime location for
OSM to shine, but it isn't (yet). I wonder why.