[OSM-talk] Routing Applications

Dave Nesbitt dave at mapzen.com
Wed Jun 17 13:49:02 UTC 2015

> Can someone who actually works with commercial navigation data say if
> "via ways" have an equivalent in their systems?

TomTom and HERE data both have restrictions that are comprised of multiple
via edges (ways). At MapQuest, my team and I integrated these restrictions
into the routing engine and when we imported OSM data the logic to handle
these complex restrictions was already in place - that is why MapQuest
supports them. Now at Mapzen, we are developing an open source routing
engine (Valhalla: https://github.com/valhalla). We have not yet implemented
these complex restrictions but plan to in the coming months. The logic is
not simple and can complicate what might otherwise be a clean design. I
think the number of these complex restrictions is low in OSM, but often
they represent important cases.

--
David Nesbitt
dave at mapzen.com