[OSM-talk] Layers and landuse

Ture Pålsson ture at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jun 27 08:40:52 UTC 2015

I recently taught my rendering hack about the ’layer’ tag, and immediately encountered a set of new problems. For example, consider this ditch: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/243331898 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/243331898> . It has layer=-1, probably to indicate that is passes under the road which it crosses. However, it is entirely covered by a landuse=farmland with no layer tag, which I take to mean an implicit layer=0. This means that my renderer now renders the farmland over the ditch, completely hiding the latter. Meanwhile, Mapnik obviously does what the tagger intended.

Is this a tagging error, that I should fix by editing the data, or is it something that my renderer should be able to cope with?