[OSM-talk] Layers and landuse

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:08:43 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 29.06.2015 um 09:45 schrieb Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk>:
>
> Landuse should be a 'virtual' layer, as should all 'political' concepts.

+1, it already is like this

> Keep 'layers' to at least keep the vertical structures sort of working
> although it is now time that 'height' at least had some place!

you can use ele and height tags for 3D, but either you have a very good imagination or you would want editor support for it.

(we could even have curves or other parametric geometry by adding curve tension tags to the ways or inventing freaky 3D relations (e.g. lathe, sweep)), but all these would need support to be useful.

The step from 2D to 3D would add a lot of complexity on the mappers, narrowing down the mass of contributors potentially willing and able to participate. Everyone would have to deal with this: It's difficult to imagine introducing 3D in parallel (as long as you don't do it completely disconnected, i.e. a fork), because everything is connected and someone not aware of 3D information would damage it inadvertently as soon as he was starting to make 2D edits on 3D data.

cheers
Martin