[OSM-talk] Layers and landuse

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Jun 30 14:47:14 UTC 2015

On 30/06/15 11:36, Richard Z. wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 04:14:07PM +0100, Lester Caine wrote:
>> On 29/06/15 15:08, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>> The step from 2D to 3D would add a lot of complexity on the mappers, narrowing down the mass of contributors potentially willing and able to participate. Everyone would have to deal with this: It's difficult to imagine introducing 3D in parallel (as long as you don't do it completely disconnected, i.e. a fork), because everything is connected and someone not aware of 3D information would damage it inadvertently as soon as he was starting to make 2D edits on 3D data.
>>
>> I'm not so bothered about 3D, but rather making it a little clearer on
>> 2D maps that one HAS to go a particular way when the road other side of
>> the building IS 5 stories below, and the main road is three stories
>> below that. People who have visited Malta will know what I am saying,
>> but following a satnav somewhere you don't know after a long flight ...
>> it would be nice if the map warned you :)
>
> In some cases you could use embankment, natural=cliff or building=wall separating
> the road and the building would that work here?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/35.95833/14.36246 was where I had
the fun at Christmas. Vertically this area is well over 10 stories high
which the steps only hint at. We stayed at the Pergola Club Hotel and
the osmand took me to the bottom of the Trig Adenau steps while the
entrance to the car park was 5 stories above :) Other parts of Malta
were just as much fun ... and while around here is not quite so steep,
there are a number of places with similar problems when trying to work
out just where to drive.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL