[OSM-talk] Complex multipolygon not rendering

Michael ohrosm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 20:57:34 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

recently I stumbled across a pretty complex relation [1] which is not
rendered correctly.

Looking into it I found that JOSM reported some validation errors. So I
thought those caused the problems and so I fixed the geometry until JOSM
was happy. But obviously this did not solve the issues since the
rendering still is not really what one would expect. At least on zoom
level 14 some patches render fine while others are still broken ([2]).

I assume that this might be due to the specific geometry of the
multipolygon. Especially there are many rings touching in one or two
single points. There is a page on the wiki [3] discussing the validity
of this geometry. So this seems to be a critical geometry.

So in the end I am still not sure if this relation is actually beyond
the capability of the rendering or if there is simply something wrong
with the multipolygon.

Thanks,
Michael

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1284003