[OSM-talk] High load on the rendering servers?

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sun Mar 8 09:20:30 UTC 2015

On Sunday 08 March 2015, Tom Hughes wrote:

> > Wow. This constitutes an extremely simple way to mount a DoS attack
> > on the OSM tileservers. I will have to assume that the Operations
> > WG is already thinking of ideas on how to prevent this possibility
> > in the future.
>
> I think I can safely say we're not.
>
> Of course if you have a brilliant idea how to do such a thing then
> I'm sure we'd love to hear it.

The OSM inspector already has a display mode for ways with long
segments - it currently however seems it is not working:

http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=geometry&overlays=ways_with_long_segments,long_segments

And it has a fairly low threshold (0.3 degrees - that is ~40km) so it
highlights quite a lot of stuff.  With an additional layer highlighting
only the very long segments (like above 300km segment length) you could
quickly see such issues.  And editors of course also should prominently
warn about such edits.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/