[OSM-talk] "Second decade" visions

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Sat Mar 14 22:49:10 UTC 2015

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 03:54:34 +0100
Daniel Koć <daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl> wrote:

> W dniu 13.03.2015 13:03, Martin Koppenhoefer napisał(a):
>
> > indeed, man_made=works is working the same way as amenity=school, it
> > is used on the whole area, and also place_of_worship is used on the
> > whole sacred area (which typically coincides with the church).
>
> That's what we have now (forgetting the buildings functions issue for a
> moment):
>
> amenity=school & building=school
> landuse=religious & building=church
> landuse=industrial/man_made=works & building=industrial (?)
>
> and I see the pattern like this:
>
> area=school & building=school
> area=religious & building=church
> area=industrial/works & building=works

One issue I hope those people expending mental energy on improving the tagging scheme will keep in mind are the limitations existing in GIS packages in respect of the number of fields and the maximum field length.

Shape files seem to have a 64 character limit to field length (at least using osm2pgsql and QGIS v1.? all fields were truncated to 64 characters)

MapInfo tables have a 255 character field length limit and can view but not edit tables of 67 fields, I was too impatient to work out the actual limit.

Personally I would like to see an hierarchical tagging scheme, it would make it so much easier to extract relevant data from the .osm/pfb files.

mick