[OSM-talk] Routing across parks

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 18 10:25:19 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-10 17:56, Volker Schmidt wrote:
>> Subject: [OSM-talk] Routing across parks
>>
>> For example let's use parks. Both of the foot routers won't cross
>> the
>> park unless there's a specific path way. However, as users can
>> wander
>> about anywhere they like there are no marked paths, not even worn
>> ground. (I would post an example but OSM has just gone down)
>
> If I understand correctly that you want routing to cross a park as
> long as the way in and the way out are connected to the perimeter of
> the park. This is only correct in parks where you are free to walk
> anywhere. Most parks in continental Europe do not work this way.
> Typically, but not always, you have to stay on the paths.
>
> To solve this, one needs possibly a new (?) tag for parks like
> stay_on_path=yes|no

Isn't it better to tag areas where you are allowed to walk with foot=yes
(when it is not already tagged as highway)? I don't know how routers
handle leisure=park or landuse=grass combined with foot=yes.
Are there routers that do shortest-path routing across areas? I do not
have an example of an area without additional roads ready.

Maarten