[OSM-talk] Voting on voting system for proposals

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Mar 19 03:44:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl
> wrote:

> As far as I know, we don't have a policy on which tags to include in
> the rendering, and there is currently no consensus within the
> development team on what the best policy would be. Personally I'm
> trying to steer towards requiring an accepted proposal plus
> documentation on the wiki before rendering a new tag, but I know not
> all of the developers share this point of view. Currently, proposals
> for newly rendered tags are currently discussed on a case by case
> base.

Requiring an accepted proposal plus good documentation sound like a
reasonable policy. I would probably add, that the tag is sufficiently used,
and/or be very desirable. It is interesting that developers are discussing
which tags to render as well as being discussed on the tagging mail list.
It seems like we should have the benefit of both discussions. While not all
tags need to be, or even should be displayed, I wonder if it might knowing
if a tag is likely to be rendered would have an impact the acceptance of
tags. It shouldn't, but it might sway voting.

Even more so, the decision by developers to add the tag to editors. I would
think that having a tag supported by JOSM and iD would more quickly lead to
its acceptance. Conversely, not including the tag could result in it being
one of the many tags with limited use.

Voting is all well and good, but it seems like we need to encourage dialog
with developers to support new tags or understand why they don't think the
tag is worthwhile of their time and effort. I feel that voting should be
just part of the approval process. If we, the mappers, feel like a new tag
should be adopted, then we should make sure that developers share our
belief. I am not saying that developers need to be part of the initial
dialog. We would probaby scare them off from ever taling to us again!

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us