[OSM-talk] Chain Store Cleanup

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri May 1 19:58:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Johan C <osmned at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a good question Rob. 'Seeing the light' possibly means maintaining
> your own platform/apps as a business. I did ask McDonald's back in 2012, I
> got the following reply: "We put focus on optimizing this McDonald's app
> and want to keep the management of the associated database as efficiently
> as possible. Keeping databases for others makes that ambition tricky. With
> the McDonald's app we also communicate information about McDonald's
> products, actions, nutrition values, different locations and opening times
> of the restaurants and the McDrives. Also, restaurant renovations and
> therefore temporary adjusted opening hours are regularly incorporated into
> an update. For the above reasons, we will not consent to the inclusion of
> McDonald's restaurants in Openstreetmap."

They also want the eyeballs on their website, not "ours".
I think they understood the request well.

Perhaps the right approach is to ask for limited access to specific
fields.  The position of the restaurant showing up a a benefit to McD
stockholders.
The opening hours might be seen as competition for eyeballs.

Beyond that it's unclear if querying for existence is a violation of any
sort. In other words if I ping
https://ajax.bigchainstore.com?storeid=2323&format=json  and it comes up
empty, I learned something.  But did I also violate their terms of service?