[OSM-talk] Chain Store Cleanup

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Fri May 1 21:32:02 UTC 2015

Approaching bigchains.com and asking them stupid questions is only going to
downgrade the quality of OSM in their eyes. Consequently, it'd be better
for OSM not to contact them - unless you can offer them '*something*'.
Google (maps) is a business - so has a significant advantage. As for
variable data like opening hours, phone number etc. (even postal address is
no use to them) their building needs to appear on the map with a one-click
link to the outlet's website that shows phone number and opening hours.
Feel free to go back to McD when you can offer them a flashing 'neon'
building on the map and when the building is 'dim' replace it with their
logo M. You just need to figure out what you'd charge them for this
advertising. If you don't charge them they'll think it's a pointless
gimmick and show no interest.

On 1 May 2015 at 21:44, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> locations in an >open format compatible manner. At >that point a quick
>>> cross check with >OSM would clear up most of the >issues.
>>> >

>>> Agree. Has anyone actually asked the retail chains?
>>>
>>> That's a good question Rob. 'Seeing the light' possibly means
>> maintaining your own platform/apps as a business. I did ask McDonald's back
>> in 2012, I got the following reply: "We put focus on optimizing this
>> McDonald's app and want to keep the management of the associated database
>> as efficiently as possible. Keeping databases for others makes that
>> ambition tricky. With the McDonald's app we also communicate information
>> about McDonald's products, actions, nutrition values, different locations
>> and opening times of the restaurants and the McDrives. Also, restaurant
>> renovations and therefore temporary adjusted opening hours are regularly
>> incorporated into an update. For the above reasons, we will not consent to
>> the inclusion of McDonald's restaurants in Openstreetmap."
>>
>> Of course I was disappointed, because I still believe OSM can be the best
>> platform. On the other hand, McDonald's has a point. Breaking the answer
>> down: 1) It's not efficient trying to maintain more than one database 2)
>> that single database serves more purposes than just geocoding 3) Other
>> databases do not have the same quality.
>>

> Glad to hear that you have had a go at contacting one of these big chains.
> Their response is disappointing but I think we need to be looking at some
> potential solutions and better explaining the benefits of being on
> OpenStreetMap to them.
>
> Tackling the benefits of being in OSM first. I would point out that
> because OpenStreetMap provides a rich database of geographic features there
> are many apps that use OpenStreetMap's data. For example Maps.Me uses OSM
> in it's SatNav style app for iOS and Android. Their app also displays
> clickable points of interest including fast food outlets. Right now
> OpenStreetMap includes some McDonald's stores (as contributed by our
> community) but may be missing some. If McDonald's was to provide locations
> of all stores then we could update our map data and as such all apps that
> use our data would pick up these additional stores when they next update.
>
> As for tackling some of their concerns then first the opening hours
> concern. We could offer to link to their website for each store via
> opening_hours:url=http://bigchainstore.com?storeid=12345 . As for keeping
> the database up to date this is where we would benefit from more conflation
> tools. For example it would be great if we had a tool that compares
> BigChainStores data dump month 1 against BigChainStores data dump month 2
> (should be easier as most entries will be the same). We would also want a
> tool that compares BigChainStores data dump against what's already in OSM.
> Currently there is no user firendly tool to do this (you end up back in
> traditional GIS solutions which tend to go over my head).

> [...]

Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -
For all your info on Millom and South Copeland
via *the area's premier website - *

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>