[OSM-talk] Chain Store Cleanup

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat May 2 21:28:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 05/02/2015 07:58 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> I suppose it depends whether we want to map what (sometimes incorrect)
> store signs say, or what the stores actually are.

Definitely we want to map what's on the ground. We map mis-spellings in
road signs, too.

> I favour the latter, but if you want the former, I have a list defunct
> shops whose signs are still visible, which you can add

I don't know about the general rules about tagging defunct shops but if
there is a tag for a defunct shop then the name tag should certainly
bear the name on the still visible sign; if only as a landmark.

> Another issue to consider is that either method will incude some
> errors. Which will include fewest, and which will inconvenience our
> users less? How long will it take for all our entries for Domino's to
> be manually updated, even after the signs are changed?

We collect observations. The fact that there is a relationship between
all pizza places with a red-and-blue Domino's sign and what kind of
relationship there is - are they all owned by the same company, are they
a franchise, and if they are a franchise, what contractual freedoms in
naming/signage are given to the franchisee in the contract - is not
easily observable and therefore should not inform OSM mapping. There is
no way for the mapper on the ground to know that the name on the
building "should" be something else.

I know you have a Wikidata background and things may be different in
Wikidata; in Wikidata, you might be interested to research and record
the details of the contractual relationship between a Domino's store and
whatever the Domino HQ is, but in OSM this is very low on our list, if
it is on our list at all. We see a place that sells pizzas and the place
has a sign with their name on it, and that's what we map.

Bye
Frederik