[OSM-talk] Using OSM on Wikitravel

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Tue May 5 19:54:31 UTC 2015

On 05.05.2015 at 20:36 Andy Mabbett wrote:
> I'd be inclined to read up on the history of WikiTravel, before you go
> any further.
I very much agree with Andy!

WikiTravel is held by a commercial company with commercial interests.
IMHO they acted clearly against the spirit of FLOSS in the past (e.g. by
criminal complaint against some active persons not willing to act in
their commercial interests). This caused a big part of the active
contributors and admins to leave the project. These persons then founded

> You might also like to look at WikiVoyage:
... WikiVoyage as a fork which is accepted as a sister project by the
Wikimedia Foundation. So if you are interested to support a project,
please support WikiVoyage and not WikiTravel.
BTW: Wikitravel is almost dead after a lot of contributors and admins
left the project: there are only a few update and new articles in
opposite to WikiVoyage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikitravel    <= includes some details
about the reason for the fork
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikivoyage

Just my 2 cents,
Michael.

FYI: I'm not active in WikiVoyage nor in WikiTravel although I'm active
in Wikipedia.