[OSM-talk] Wiki project: Article about the standard layer, with key

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Fri May 8 00:15:05 UTC 2015

On 20.04.2015 at 14:27 Wuzzy wrote:
> I have created a wiki page about the Standard layer found on
> www.openstreetmap.org
>
> Here it is:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Standard_tile_layer
I very much appreciate your work and the work all other contributing to
this page. So thank you to all! Really.

[With the following statement: please don't get me wrong!]
BUT...

I don't like the fact that it is a static web page. That's another
static page in the Wiki which needs manual work and hence tends to be
not up to date. And we have the problem that translations of static
pages trend even more to be outdated and inconsistend compared to the
original pages.
You can see this with the famous "map features page" and the respective
translations.

So my suggestion ist:
this web page should be directly derived from CartoCSS eg. by a tool [to
be developed!] and use e.g. the same symbols/icons that are used by
mapnik (and stored in Github). Maybe the CartoCSS needs some additional
information that this web page can be generated => this would require to
be added there.
I know that this is a lot of effort to develop but anything else will
tend to be not accurate! Please start thinking about an automatic
generation of this page.

Just my 2 cents,
Michael.