[OSM-talk] Problems with the wiki (was "Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?")

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri May 8 21:57:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 05/08/2015 08:00 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> There's another problem page at "OpenStreetMap is a social activity".
> Sigh.  Lots of good cleanup edits.  Lots of blundering elephant edits.

Yes, it doesn't feel good to point fingers at individuals but I, too,
have the impression that Xxzme's overbearing control of the Wiki is not
for the best. I seems to me that they're genuinely trying to help, and
investing quite some time, but from interactions with others I can see
that they tend to be intimidating and have a very stubborn sense of what
is right and what is wrong. The relentless renaming and re-organising of
content may feel to them like a necessary move to organize content
properly but I think these unannounced and undiscussed edits have the
potential to alienate other users of the Wiki who should have an equal
voice, but are too often harshly overruled by Xxzme.

This is compounded by Xxzme, unlike most other contributors to the Wiki,
not caring to share any personal information about them - not their real
name, not where they live or what they like. This is not a condition for
participation on a normal scale, but with Xxzme making a significant
portion of edits to the Wiki it feels like the Wiki has been taken over
by someone that nobody knows at all and who doesn't want to be known. It
doesn't really feel like a community effort.

I appreciate that Xxzme has spent a lot of time trying to make the Wiki
better and I believe they did manage to make improvements, but looking
at the complete picture I would politely ask Xxzme to find another
occupation, and stop editing on the OSM wiki altogether.

Bye
Frederik