[OSM-talk] Broken coastline

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon May 11 07:36:53 UTC 2015

On Sunday 10 May 2015, Mike Thompson wrote:
> I am considering an edit involving "natural=coastline" involving the
> Great Lakes that are shared between the US and Canada.  This has been
> discussed on the Talk-US and Talk-Ca lists and there have been no
> objections to date.

As you know the Great Lakes have a right of continuance in being tagged
as coastline however you should keep in mind that not having a
multipolygon relation tagged natural=water representing these lakes
also has disadvantages, and having relations/nodes tagged place=sea or
place=lake is awkward and you can't really expect geocoders, renderers
and other programs to make a special case here.

By the way even if the lakes are tagged as coastline tagging the
US-Canada boundary within the lakes maritime=yes is not correct.

> Technical advice is welcome, e.g. how to easily find island ways that
> go clockwise (water on the left)

Yes, that's a tricky one - i don't think there are that many islands not
yet tagged coastline though.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/