[OSM-talk] iD name suggestion index - asking non-English-speaking mappers to review

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon May 18 15:30:56 UTC 2015

Is there a company in Australia named Petrol, or is it simply the term for the fuel? As I understand it, the question is whether Petrol is valid as a company name (apparently

On May 17, 2015 10:53:07 PM CDT, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/05/2015 3:57 PM, Stefan Baebler wrote:
> >
> > I see "Petrol" is categorized under discardedNames, but is is in
> fact
> > a valid full name of company with chain of gas pumps in Slovenia
> > (www.petrol.si <http://www.petrol.si>).
> >
> > Are there many other similar cases that would make it worthwhile to
> > make this functionality location-aware, dependant on regions
> > (countries, continents, languages)?
> >
> Petrol is in common use in Australia... an 'English' speaking country.
>
> > 16. maj 2015 11.08 pop. je oseba "Mateusz Konieczny"
> > <matkoniecz at gmail.com <mailto:matkoniecz at gmail.com>> napisala:
> >
> >     On Sat, 16 May 2015 20:07:00 +0200
> >     Michał Brzozowski <www.haxor at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:www.haxor at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     > I ask non-English speakers to find anything they are sure it's
> >     noun
> >     > and not a proper name. name-suggestions.json specifies name
> >     > suggestions and filter.json specifies what "non-names" should
> be
> >     > filtered.
> >
> >     Sklep spożywczy (Polish for grocery store)
> >     Apteka (Polish for pharmacy)

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com (615) 299-6451
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.