[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Thu May 28 08:50:40 UTC 2015

On 27/05/2015 22:56, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> A demonstrator, using Wikidata labels, is:
> http://googleknowledge.github.io/qlabel/demo/map/ (choose "select
> language"). Coders might enjoy viewing the source code.

That's interesting, but seems just to do multiple http transactions to
get the names it needs (something that's not really scalable). What I'd
typically want to do with wikidata would be something like:

1) define a series of properties that I'm interested in.

2) extract that information from wikidata (either a structured download
or from some sort of dump) in one go, not as a series of http transactions.

3) load that into local database tables where it can be easily accessed.

(1) might be something like "villages in Derbyshire" or "mills in the
Derwent valley" or something broader (suppose I wanted to include "who
owns what building" in a database containing OSM data).  Unfortunately I
don't see this in any sort of sensible format - I just see a bunch of
web pages like http://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:List_of_properties
which isn't really helpful.

2) must be a problem that people have solved already

As ever, stackoverflow has some of the answers but some of the questions
such as
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28391434/how-to-parse-bigdata-json-file-wikidata-in-c-efficiently
suggest to me "I really wouldn't start from there if I were you" (though
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29886388/get-all-wikidata-items-that-are-an-instance-of-a-given-item
is closer).

I suspect that these are problems that someone, somewhere has already
solved, but I'm not seeing obvious answers that aren't a bit of a cludgy
hack, or requires something from Google that's going away in 32 days, or
whatever.

Cheers,

Andy