[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu May 28 12:31:17 UTC 2015

W dniu 28.05.2015 14:13, Martin Koppenhoefer napisał(a):

> there are a lot of problems (you can read about them in this thread)
> and yes, administrative entities, especially the basic ones like
> admin_level 2-4, are easiest, you will encounter more problems with
> different objects like geographic places and other pois.

I just hoped for reading it like: "What's the problem with using
Wikidata as a helper/base for our data, like I showed it in this
(counter)example?", but that was so naive in a heated discussion like
this one... =}

I'm aware of many specific problems (you can also read it in my posts,
not only in this thread), but I just showed a way we can handle them
(editor asking if this is the object you think of and if that's the
proper name of it in your language). We don't have to use Wikidata
directly - there are many technical solutions we could use with general
linking OSM data (or OSMdata, as proposed) with Wikidata while keeping
the differences and synchronizing when it's ready.

So, again: why not to use as much "easy", "low hanging" data as it's
possible and suitable for us?

down" [A. Cohen]