[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Thu May 28 15:36:50 UTC 2015

Hello,

> "name:pronunciation", as mentioned on that page, is in use in a few
> problems, and would surely solve the "Slough" problem:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/10021975/history
>
> (though John Betjeman's idea might have been better)

Would you please recommend a tool to transform "name:pronunciation" into
russian cyrillic name? (and, if possible, for other languages.)

In fact, what really needed is a tool (csv, database field, tag, bulk API,
whatever) that will quickly return a name of object in a given language,
even if it's absent in OSM data, integrated at least with osm2pgsql.

(generation of our russian-only map took a couple of days, and we had to
limit number of labels to finish it at all - keep in mind our map is
limited to z10).

Until then, people will keep adding name:xx to objects regardless of what
anybody thinks of it, as it's the only realistic way to render multilingual
map now.

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team - http://openstreetmap.by/