[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

Arch Arch 7h3.arch at gmail.com
Fri May 29 08:57:31 UTC 2015

I don’t think that it’s a good idea to rely on a external database.
(inconsistency, overhead for map producers/developers, different
toolchains, etc.)

If the name:xx is just a simple transliteration you won’t need Wikidata,
you can use algorithms  for producing a map in the foreign language.
If the foreign name differs from the transliteration I think no one
would oppose to add the name into the OSM database.

--> It isn’t necessary to add Wikidata tags for naming purposes.

Am 28.05.2015 um 23:27 schrieb moltonel 3x Combo:
> Please handle the questions of "should FOO-language name of an object
> be allowed in the database ?" and "should that databse be OSM or
> Wikidata ?" separately. The decision of whether "Абергавенни" should
> be recorded as the Russian name for "Abergavenny" should be the same
> for Wikidata and OSM.

+1